Monday, January 16, 2017

Reflections and More Root Beer

Next month I will hit a life milestone by reaching my 70th birthday.  I suppose something could conceivably happen between now and the fourth of February to change the outcome and in the back of my head a small voice is yelling, "Wait, don't write this now".  Never was very good at listening to the small voice in my head.


Many of my friends, work mates, and others did not accomplish this milestone.  Some of them didn't make it out of their twenties because of Vietnam.  Others didn't get past their thirties or forties because of illness, accident or just plain stupidity.  There are those that didn't age well into their fifties and sixties with failing health.  But here I am, ready to turn 70 and wondering why I am here and they are not.

My mom was born March 26, 1912, and lived until May 12, 1982, just over seventy years.  While my physical and mental health are much better than hers at this age, I am not where I should be with regard to a bunch of different health issues and my procrastinating personality isn't helping me resolve any of those issues.

So here comes 70 and I start to reflect on where I have been and where and what will happen as I move forward.  First of all, I have to say that my life has been and continues to be pretty damned good when compared to other folks that I come in contact with.  My family is doing quite well and I expect nothing but great things from those I leave behind and let us face it, I'm going to leave many of those I love dearly behind and at this age, it won't be too far in the distant future.

In my twenties and thirties, I worked hard at what I thought was enjoying life only to discover that I was addicted when I woke up in my forties and finally decided to do something about it.  Funny, but as you go through life you don't think much about the possibility of it ending but I can tell you that you become a damn sight more interested in it as the scale of life swings in the other direction.
Which brings us to what happens after death?  That is the question that will likely never be answered unless someone comes back from the dead to explain it.  In some respects, I want to believe in an entity because frankly, I just can't wrap my arms around the whole scientific theory of one cell in a puddle of water created every living plant, insect and animal (including us) that surrounds our being.  But the whole entity thing is confusing.  It would appear that in either case, you must have faith in your belief and I am not so sure that I have what you would call faith.  So, here I am approaching the 4th of February and still wondering about the future.  Pretty funny when you consider I never used to concern myself with it.

On to lighter and more fun stuff.  Two more root beers have crossed my palate since my last post.
  Sea Dog Root Beer tastes a lot like the refreshing root beer I used to get in the ice cold mug at the A&W Drive Inn.  A frothy head and good taste from this one.
Iron Horse Root Beer didn't remind me of any of my previous root beers.  It has a good root beer taste but it took me awhile to discover what was different.  It almost tasted like the brewer added creme soda to the batch.  There was a slight hint of the creme and it really did make this an exceptionally good drink.

Well, that is all I have today.  Please, if you have any thoughts, don't hesitate to make them know.  Hope all is going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment